Skip to main content

Nepal Flood from China - Bhote Koshi Glacial Lake Burst

Nepal flood and earthquake reflection, flooded village with Himalayan hills, hopeful light
This flood came from Tibet, China - a glacial lake burst sent water into Rasuwa. Nepal didn't fail this time. Behind every number is still a family, a home, a memory.

Nepal Flood from China - Bhote Koshi Glacial Lake Burst

By Mohammad Aamir • Personal Reflection • 12 min read • August 2026
Quick take: I'll be honest - I'm deeply hurt. This flood didn't start in Nepal. It came from Tibet, China - a glacial lake burst and landslide in the Bhote Koshi / Lhende catchment that sent a wall of water into Rasuwa. Nepal didn't fail this time. The water came suddenly from across the border, with rocks, ice and debris, and destroyed homes in Timure and Syabrubesi. It opened the old wound of 2015. I lived through that earthquake, I felt the ground shake, I saw buildings fall. Nepal is bleeding again, and I needed to write what Islam taught me about mercy, responsibility, and what we do next.

1. Why I'm Hurting

I'm not writing as an expert sitting far away. I'm writing as someone who felt the ground shake in 2015 and who is watching the flood videos today with a tight chest.

Nepal is bleeding. I keep saying that because it feels true. Not as a slogan. As a wound. Families lost loved ones. Kids lost schools. Farmers lost fields they worked for years. And many are still waiting, scared, homeless, unsure what tomorrow brings.

2. What the Flood Didn't Ask

The flood didn't ask for ID cards. It didn't ask if you were rich or poor, Hindu or Muslim, Brahmin or Dalit, from hills or Terai, old or young, man or woman. It didn't check your politics or your caste.

And this time, To be frank, it didn't even start in Nepal. According to ICIMOD satellite analysis and reports, this Bhote Koshi flood came from Tibet, China - a supraglacial lake on the Purepu Glacier burst and a landslide blocked the Lhende River, then released a debris-laden flood into Nepal. Nepal didn't fail this time. The water came from across the border, suddenly, with no warning at 3:15 am.

It broke doors, roads, bridges, the Friendship Bridge at Rasuwagadhi, hydropower projects, farms, shops. It took what people built with years of hard work in a few hours.

That tells me something painful but true - we are all equal when disaster hits, and we are also vulnerable to what happens beyond our borders. And if disaster doesn't discriminate, why do we?

Important correction: This specific Bhote Koshi flood originated in Tibet, China - a supraglacial lake on Purepu Glacier burst on July 8, 2025, and again a landslide/glacial collapse on August 26, 2026 sent debris flow into Nepal. Nepal's Department of Hydrology and ICIMOD confirmed it via satellite. So this was not a failure of Nepal's internal drainage. It was a transboundary climate disaster with no warning.

3. I Remember 2015 - I Was There

I was affected by the 2015 earthquake, like so many others. I still remember the sound. The way the earth moved like water. The way people ran out with nothing in their hands. The way we slept outside for nights because we were scared to go back inside.

Buildings that my neighbours built brick by brick fell in seconds. Families got separated. We queued for water. We shared one tarpaulin.

Nepal bled then. And now the flood has opened that wound again. Different disaster, same ache.

Nepal community helping after flood, neighbours sharing food from behind
In 2015 neighbours helped neighbours. Strangers shared food. That unity is what we need again - not just during disaster, but every day.

4. Moral Lessons the Flood Left Me

I've been thinking a lot, and I wrote down what the flood taught me about being human:

Don't think only of yourself

When people suffer, standing beside them is not extra - it's the minimum. A flood can destroy a house, but our lack of care can destroy hope.

Help without checking background

Don't help only your own community, religion, or party. Help anyone who needs it. The flood didn't check religion before destroying. We shouldn't check religion before helping.

Respect nature and prepare for cross-border risk

This flood came from a glacial lake in Tibet, China - not from blocked drains in Kathmandu. But it reminds us that poor planning, unsafe houses on riverbanks, cutting forests, and destroying wetlands still make any flood worse. We can't stop a GLOF in Tibet, but we can prepare, monitor with satellites, and build safer.

Be honest with relief

Relief goods must reach the needy, not the greedy. Stealing from victims, hiding aid, using tragedy for personal benefit - that's morally wrong and Islamically haram.

Nepal environmental lesson, deforestation and drainage vs safe construction
We can't stop every flood, but we can stop making it worse - better drainage, safer building, respecting rivers and forests.

5. What Islam Says About Saving One Life

Islam taught me to respond with mercy, not judgement.

مَنْ أَحْيَاهَا فَكَأَنَّمَا أَحْيَا النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا
"Whoever saves one life, it is as if he had saved all of humanity."
Surah Al-Ma'idah 5:32

When I read this after seeing flood victims, I feel it differently. Saving one life - pulling someone from water, giving shelter, giving medicine - Allah sees it as saving all humanity. That's how sacred one person is.

6. Mercy Will Get Mercy

Prophet Muhammad said:

ارْحَمُوا مَنْ فِي الْأَرْضِ يَرْحَمْكُمْ مَنْ فِي السَّمَاءِ
"Be merciful to those on the earth, and the One in the heavens will have mercy upon you."
Jami' at-Tirmidhi 1924 - Hasan Sahih

Helping flood victims is not just social work. If I do it sincerely for Allah, it's worship. Giving food, clothes, shelter, medicine, money, or even my time - it all counts as sadaqah.

Islamic charity mercy, hands giving food and clothes for Nepal flood relief
In Islam, helping with food, shelter, medicine or time - done sincerely - is worship, not just charity.

7. Wealth Is a Trust, Not Mine

Islam says my wealth is a trust from Allah. If I've more than I need while another person has nothing, I must ask myself - how can I help?

Zakat, sadaqah, and just practical help can bring relief to families who lost homes. I don't need to be rich to help. Even a small amount, given with sincerity, can feed a family for a day.

وَمَا تُنفِقُوا مِنْ خَيْرٍ فَلِأَنفُسِكُمْ
"And whatever good you spend is for yourselves."
Surah Al-Baqarah 2:272

Whatever I give, I'm actually giving to myself for akhirah.

8. Was This Punishment? I Don't Know

Please don't do this: Don't say "this flood is definitely punishment from Allah" and blame victims. We don't know the unseen. Only Allah knows if a disaster is a test, a warning, a result of human negligence, or part of nature He created. Our job is not to judge those who suffer, but to help them.

I've seen people online writing with certainty - "this happened because of sins". Honestly, that hurts victims more. The Prophet never blamed victims when disaster hit. He helped.

9. Sabr Doesn't Mean Doing Nothing

Islam teaches sabr - patience. But sabr doesn't mean sitting and doing nothing.

Sabr with action means: I pray, and I also rescue. I make du'a, and I also give. I trust Allah, and I also fix drainage, build stronger, hold authorities accountable when there's negligence.

What I remind myself: Tawakkul is not an excuse for carelessness. The Prophet ﷺ said tie your camel, then trust Allah. So prepare, then trust.

10. Lessons from the Earthquake

The 2015 earthquake taught me things I still carry:

  • Prepare before, not after: Strong buildings, safe schools, emergency plans, trained rescue teams, public awareness - these save lives. Preparedness is not lack of faith. Islam encourages taking precautions.
  • Community is everything: When official help was late, neighbours became family. Strangers shared food and shelter. We worked together. That unity shouldn't appear only during disaster. We should build it every day.
  • Don't spread rumours: During earthquake, false news spread panic. Same is happening now with flood. We must refuse to share unverified news that scares people.

11. What Remains After Everything Is Gone

Both earthquake and flood taught me one hard truth - material things are temporary. A house, a shop, a bank balance can go in minutes. What remains is how we treated people and what good we did.

In Islam, our actions weigh more than our possessions. A kind word, a shared meal, a night spent helping - those stay in our book when buildings don't.

12. What Nepal Needs Now

I'm hurt because these are not numbers in a report. Behind every number is a person, a family, a memory, a life. People deserve dignity, safety, and long-term support, not just temporary attention for a week.

Responsible leadership

Honest relief work, no corruption, aid must reach the needy first.

Safer building

Stop unsafe construction on riverbanks and steep slopes. Follow building codes.

Better planning

Clear drains, protect wetlands and rivers, plant trees, early warning systems.

Care for vulnerable

Elderly, disabled, children, poor families - they suffer most. Protect them first.

Refuse division

Don't divide people by religion, caste, or politics during relief. Help all.

Long-term, not just sympathy

Nepal needs more than sympathy posts. It needs sustained help and accountability.

13. My Du'a for Nepal

I pray for those who died - may Allah have mercy on them and grant them a good place. For those injured - may He heal them. For those who lost homes - may He give them patience, protection, and strength. For those still waiting for help - may help reach them quickly.

And for those helping sincerely - volunteers, neighbours, rescue teams, donors - may Allah reward you, protect you, and multiply your rizq.

اللَّهُمَّ احْفَظْ نِيبَالَ وَأَهْلَهَا، وَارْحَمِ الْمُتَوَفَّيْنَ، وَاشْفِ الْمَرْضَىٰ، وَآوِ مَنْ لَا مَأْوَىٰ لَهُ
"O Allah, protect Nepal and its people, have mercy on those who passed away, heal the sick, and shelter those who have no shelter."
Personal du'a for Nepal

Nepal suffered in the earthquake. Nepal is suffering again in the flood. But this pain must not make us hopeless. It should make us more compassionate, more prepared, and more united.

If we learn to care for one another and fulfil our responsibilities before Allah and before humanity, then even from great pain we can build a better and safer Nepal. That's what I pray for.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leadership Skills of Prophet Muhammad: Quran & Sunnah

“We sent thee not except as a mercy to the worlds” — Al-Anbiya 21:107 Leadership Skills of Prophet Muhammad: Quran & Sunnah Quran • Sunnah • Uswah Hasanah — Surah Al-Ahzab 33:21 Research in Islamic Leadership • 13 May 2025 Abstract The leadership of Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) stands as the pivotal model within Islamic studies, revered globally as the epitome of exemplary conduct and governance. Chosen by Allah as the final prophet and messenger, his life serves as a comprehensive model for humanity — اُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَةٌ — an excellent pattern, Surah Al-Ahzab 33:21. His leadership was instrumental in the profound social and moral transformation of Arabian society, ushering in an era marked by justice, equality, and spiritual enlightenment. This article explores the leadership skills of Prop...

Islamic Principles of Justice: Adl, Insaf & Quran

Justice ('Adl) and fairness ('Insaf) are not merely desirable virtues; they are foundational pillars of the Islamic faith and governance. Islamic Principles of Justice: Adl, Insaf & Quran By Mohammad Aamir • Published March 2025 • 15 Min Read Executive Summary & Ethical Overview I'll be honest: when outsiders study religious law, they often imagine strict rules designed merely to control people or enforce authority. But when we look directly into the Holy Qur'an and the authentic Sunnah, we discover that the entire teleological purpose of divine revelation is to establish unshakeable justice ( 'Adl ) and fairness ( 'Insaf ). In Islam, justice is not a secondary social pleasantry—it is an explicit attribute of Almighty Allah ( Al-'Adl ) and the absolute benchmark of human stewardship on Earth ( Khilafah ). How does Islamic jurisprudence balance strict legal ...

What Muslims Actually Believe About Jesus (Isa)

What Muslims Actually Believe About Jesus (Isa) By Mohammad Aamir • 5 min read Contents 1. The Obligation of Belief 2. The Abyssinian Revelation: The Negus Weeps 3. Christianity's Forgotten Schism 4. The Crucifixion: A Divine Rescue 5. The Common Ground The Obligation of Belief: More Than Reverence I'll be honest, many people are surprised to learn that Jesus (known as Isa in Arabic) is not just a respected historical figure in Islam—he is absolutely central to the faith. Every single Muslim is obligated to affirm and believe in him. This isn't a choice; it is a fundamental pillar of Iman (faith). To reject Jesus is to reject the foundation of Islam itself. Every Muslim proudly affirms Jesus (AS) as: Messenger of Allah A mighty Prophet sent to guide the Children of Israel, carrying the exact same core message as Abraham and Moses before him. ...