7 Reasons to Read the Quran Every Day
The word Quran means “that which is often recited”. Muslims believe it is the verbatim Word of Allah, revealed to Prophet Muhammad ï·º. I return to it because it gives me more than information. It gives me a way to think, worship and act.
1. Its unmatched message: the challenge of I'jaz
The Quran's first sign is its inimitability, known as I'jaz. Its Arabic style, rhythm, word choice and depth form a message that Muslims believe human beings cannot reproduce. This is not only a claim made by later scholars; the Quran itself presents a challenge to those who doubt it.
Arabic experts have long studied its precise use of grammar, sound, omission and repetition. For me, the point is not to turn faith into a language contest. It is to recognise that the Quran speaks with a quality and authority unlike ordinary human writing.
2. Its careful preservation: Hifz
Allah says, “It is certainly We Who have revealed the Reminder, and it is certainly We Who will preserve it” (Quran 15:9). Muslims understand this promise through two connected forms of transmission.
- Memorisation: generations of Muslims have memorised the entire Quran. This living chain, known as tawatur, allows reciters to check one another.
- Written records: verses were written during the Prophet's lifetime. After his death, the written material was gathered under Abu Bakr, with Zaid ibn Thabit leading the work. Caliph Uthman later standardised copies for the wider Muslim community.
Oral and written transmission support each other. That is why I can read the same revelation today that Muslims have recited for centuries, even though the script and printing styles may differ.
3. The final revelation
The Quran presents Muhammad ï·º as the final Prophet. It says: “Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but is the Messenger of Allah and the seal of the Prophets” (Quran 33:40).
Islam honours earlier revelations, including the Torah, Psalms and Gospel. At the same time, Muslims believe the Quran is the final criterion: it confirms what is true and corrects human changes that entered later records. That makes it the lasting reference point for belief and worship.
4. Its lasting signs and testimony
The Quran asks me to think about history, human nature and the world around me. It speaks about earlier prophets, predicts events and points to signs in creation. These passages should be read carefully, without forcing every modern theory into a verse.
- History: it retells the stories of earlier communities with a clear moral purpose.
- Prophecy: it includes promises and predictions that shaped the early Muslim community.
- Creation: verses about the seas, human development and the body invite reflection, while reminding me that the Quran's main purpose is guidance, not a science textbook.
5. A complete way of life: Shariah and Akhlaq
The Quran gives me a clear path, or Shariah. It joins outward justice with inward character, or Akhlaq. Its aims include protecting faith, life, family, property and the mind.
Justice is central. The Quran commands fairness even when it is difficult, “against yourselves, or your parents, or your kindred” (Quran 4:135). It also teaches honesty in trade, care for the vulnerable and freedom from exploitation. These rules are strengthened by humility, patience, generosity and forgiveness. A good society needs both sound laws and good hearts.
6. Healing and mercy: Shifa and Rahmah
I have found that reading the Quran slowly can steady the heart when life feels noisy. It is described as guidance, healing and mercy for believers (Quran 17:82). This does not mean ignoring professional medical or mental-health care. It means that spiritual comfort matters too.
The Quran helps me question despair, guilt and confusion. It reminds me why I am here and what kind of person I am trying to become. Even a short daily reading can bring that purpose back into focus.
7. A direct connection with Allah: Du'a
The Quran teaches me how Allah speaks to humanity and how I can turn back to Him. It says: “I am near; I respond to the call of the one who calls upon Me” (Quran 2:186).
There is no need for a human intermediary between me and Allah. I can ask, repent, give thanks and seek help directly. That relationship brings a kind of peace that no argument alone can provide.
What I notice when I read with attention
When I read quickly, I can miss the quiet work the Quran is doing in me. It asks me to look honestly at my intentions, my habits and the way I treat people. A verse about patience may meet me when I am irritated. A warning about pride may meet me when I think I am always right. A promise of mercy may meet me when I feel I have made too many mistakes.
This is why I try not to measure a reading session only by the number of pages. A single verse understood and acted upon can be more valuable than many pages read without thought. I ask myself three questions: What is Allah teaching me? What is this asking me to change? Who could benefit if I lived by it?
Reading the Quran with context and care
The Quran deserves respect and careful study. I do not rely on an isolated quotation to settle a difficult question. I look at the verses before and after it, consult a trustworthy translation and, where possible, read a reliable explanation from qualified scholars.
Translations help me approach the meaning, but they are not the Arabic Quran itself. Different translations may use different English words for the same Arabic expression. Comparing them can reveal a wider meaning, while a sound tafsir can explain the circumstances of revelation and the principles scholars have used to understand the passage.
How the Quran changes ordinary decisions
The Quran's guidance is not limited to formal worship. It reaches into ordinary decisions: how I earn money, speak to family, respond to an insult, treat a neighbour and use my time. It teaches honesty when dishonesty seems profitable, restraint when anger feels justified and generosity when I would rather keep everything for myself.
Its guidance also gives freedom from constant comparison. Success is not measured only by income, popularity or appearance. The Quran keeps bringing me back to sincerity, justice, gratitude and accountability. Those measures are harder to display, but they are much more lasting.
Questions I am often asked
Do I need to understand Arabic before I read?
No. Arabic is the original language of the revelation, and learning it is a beautiful goal, but I can begin today with a reliable translation. I can listen to the Arabic recitation, read the meaning in English and slowly build my vocabulary. Waiting until I know Arabic perfectly would only delay a relationship that can begin now.
What if I do not feel anything while reading?
That happens. Faith has high points and quiet points. I do not treat a dry day as proof that reading is pointless. I keep the habit, make a short prayer for understanding and remove distractions. Sometimes the benefit appears later, when a verse returns to me during a difficult moment.
Is reading enough?
Reading is the beginning, not the finish. The Quran calls me towards belief, worship and good action. Its message becomes real when it changes my conduct. If I read about forgiveness but refuse every apology, I have understood the words without accepting their demand.
A seven-day plan for a new reader
- Day one: read a short passage and write down one sentence that stands out.
- Day two: listen to the same passage and compare two reliable translations.
- Day three: read the surrounding verses so the passage has context.
- Day four: learn one key Arabic word from the passage.
- Day five: identify one action or attitude the passage encourages.
- Day six: make du'a using what you have learned.
- Day seven: review your notes and choose a small habit to continue.
This plan is deliberately modest. A lasting routine is better than a burst of enthusiasm followed by silence. I would rather read ten thoughtful minutes each day than make a grand promise I cannot keep.
My final reflection
The Quran challenges the mind, protects its message, guides society, heals the heart and opens a direct path to Allah. These are not separate benefits competing with one another. They fit together. The Quran gives me truth to believe, principles to follow, comfort when I struggle and a reason to keep returning.
I do not need to wait for a perfect room, a perfect mood or a perfect level of knowledge. I can open it today, read a small portion and ask Allah to make its guidance clear in my life. That is where reading becomes transformation.
How I would begin today
I would start with ten minutes, not an unrealistic promise. I would read a small passage with a reliable translation, listen to its recitation and note one action it calls me towards. Then I would return the next day. The Quran changes a person through steady companionship.
For me, these seven reasons come together in one simple truth: the Quran is not meant to sit untouched on a shelf. It is meant to be recited, understood and allowed to shape the way I live.
Comments
Post a Comment